Thursday, June 12, 2008
1:350 scale model of R.M.S. MAURETANIA by Maritime Replicas
RMS Mauretania was launched on 28 July 1938 at the Cammell Laird yard in Birkenhead, England and was completed in May 1939. A successor to RMS Mauretania (1906), the second Mauretania was the first ship built for the newly formed Cunard White Star company following the merger in April 1934 of the Cunard and White Star lines.
The new liner had a tonnage of 35,739 gross, an overall length of 772 feet and a beam of 89 feet and had a design similar to Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth, both of which were also Cunard ships. She was powered by two sets of Parsons single reduction-geared steam turbines giving 42,000 shaft horsepower and driving twin screws. Her service speed was 23 knots.
Scratch built waterline halfmodel on a mirror in 1:8 scale.
Total length around -- 4.5 meters.
Materials -- woods.
Buit by Alexander Blokhin.
The Levant Schooner was the back bone of sea
commerce in the Eastern Mediterranean during the
19th and the first half of the 20th century. This carvel
planked "leg of a mutton" sails schooner was built in Syria,
Lebanon, Palestine & Egypt. During the last decades
of its presence many of the type had auxiliary engines
added for more freedom of operation. Minimal crews and
excellent seaworthiness won them love by their operators.
Normally passed from father to son and so on. Two masts,
slightly raked, the foremast pushed much forward. Very
sleek, well proportioned boats which gave a yacht
like appearance. Their demise is a real sad loss to all
local craft enthusiasts.